Thursday, April 11, 2013

Carrot Cake Poke Cake {SPD}


I made this cake for Easter this year. Let me tell you, it was SO good!
{#pinterestdoesitagain}

I actually forgot until about 10pm on Saturday night that I was supposed to make this baby and let it sit overnight. Oops.
So, I ended up staying awake wayyy past my bedtime to create this masterpiece...
but oooh boy was it worth it!


Isn't she a beaut?!
Original recipe found here.
 
Ingredients:

  • The 9x13 Carrot Cake recipe of your choice, baked and cooled {I used a box mix}
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 8 oz Cool Whip
  • 10.6 oz Cool Whip Vanilla Frosting {Cream Cheese flavor if your store carries it, mine didn't}
  • 6 oz (half a tub) of whipped cream cheese (must be whipped)
  • Approx. 1/2 cup caramel sundae sauce {I forgot this at the store, so I perused Pinterest really quick and came
  • across this recipe. Luckily, I had all of the ingredients, so I mixed that up really quick.} 
  • Approx. 1 cup chopped pecans {sprinkle on as much or as little as you'd like}


  • Directions:
     
    1. Leave the cake in the dish it was baked in -- this is not a free standing cake. {Notice: I baked my cake in a smaller glass 9x13 dish and it ended up being too small and so I transferred it -after it was cool- to the larger red dish you see in the picture.}
    2. Poke approximately 20-25 holes {I just poked 'til my heart was content}, spread evenly, over the top of the cake with the bottom of wooden spoon.
    3. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over top, trying to fill the holes as much as possible.
    4. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the cool whip, the cool whip frosting, and the whipped cream cheese until smooth. Spread over top of the cake.
    5. Pour the caramel sauce over top of the cake, and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
    6. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, really overnight is best. {overnight is definately best}
    7. Cut into whatever size piece your tummy desires and enjoy!
     
     
    Linking up with Ms. Stephanie today:


     
     
     
    

    3 comments:

    1. Yum! I've been wanting to make a poke cake, they sound DELICIOUS!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love carrot cake and this sounds yummy! And seems fairly easy--my kind of dessert!

      ReplyDelete
    3. This looks amazing! My mom loves carrot cake, so I will have to remember to make this for mother's day :) I am hosting a friday favorites link up tomorrow at my blog, createdbysk.blogspot.com, and I would love if you considered linking up.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for stopping by! :)