Thursday, February 13, 2014

Polar Vortex of 2014: Part 1

The Snow:


This winter, mostly in the past couple of weeks, we have been hit hard with this "polar vortex". First it was just freezing temperatures (by our standards) and then came the snow.

Snow, after snow, after snow.

However, two Mondays ago we had a beautiful blanketing of wonderfully dense precipitation. Peyton was at my parent's house for the night on Sunday night and was stuck there for the first half of the day on Monday because {of course} her school was closed that day. Nick and I had both attempted to go to work {him at 5am and me at 9am} and neither of us made it there because we both found it to be too treacherous and turned back for home. So, naturally, we all made snowmen!


^^the views from my parent's house are my favorite.^^
 


^^ Thumbelina, the neighbor's "pet" deer stopped by to visit and supervise the snowmen building.^^
 

^^Peyton riding her "snow-horse".^^
^^ and then they made a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle snowman.^^


Meanwhile, at our house:


We made the first snowman I think we have ever made together and my first one in I-don't-even-know-how-many years. I don't think we've had a single snowfall that was the right kind of snow for such an event, so this sure was a treat.

^^ What? Your snowmen don't walk your dog for you?^^


Rory absolutely loves the snow. I think she has to be part Husky. She must. Because she runs around like a lunatic in the snow and was even playing "catch" with the snowballs I was throwing to her.



^^can you spy our old couch that still hasn't been moved to the curb for bulk trash day... since black Friday? It's just so darn heavy.^^
Eventually, we made it inside. We were freezing and definitely in need of some hot chocolate! But, alas, there was no packets of swiss miss to be found. So, I whipped up some stovetop chocolate-y goodness with cocoa powder, milk, and ghiradelli cocoa bits. I based it off of this recipe here.

Later, my parents brought over Peyton and we all got to snuggle up together.
A wonderful snow-day, indeed.

xo,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! :)